Window replacement is not just about saving money on energy bills. New windows enhance the look of your home and are easier to clean and maintain. The new window if Energy efficient may cost above of $8000. Hence, when buying windows, the motivation shouldn’t only be cost savings. Though it might help to know that Energy rated windows bring in some cost savings for the owner since they are eligible for Federal tax credits in 2016.
The three main concerns which a buyer should worry about are – product quality, installation and customer service. With respect to vinyl windows, we list below features which usually the manufacturer should provide.
The window should effectively keep out air and water. The material of the window does make a difference, and so does the frame which varies with brand. Canadian Choice, which is a Winnipeg windows replacement company is a leader in the manufacturing of energy efficient products. They come highly recommended.
- Installation methods vary, and if not properly installed, the window may not function effectively. Hence, speak to the seller to find out if they have specialists who will do the installation or if that is something you will have to handle on your own.
- Low-E coated glass – Approximately 75% of the window is glass. The quality of the glass will decide how effectively this part contains heat within the home. LWR or Long Wave Radiation is the heat produced inside the home, and this heat should be maintained at an optimum level so as to minimize the use of heaters. We also need protection from UV rays and shield the home furniture from fading by blocking excess heat. Using a low-E coated glass is the best way to ensure a comfortable home.
- Use of Argon and Krypton gas – These two gasses are bad conductors of heat. The space between are filled with these gas so it results in 50% lesser conduction of heat than air would.
- Self-cleaning windows – A super-thin coating called Simply Clean is used to keep the glass clean. When the sun’s rays fall on the window, this coating is activated. It breaks down dust and dirt which is washed away when rainwater falls on it. It results in lesser cleaning on your part.
- Vinyl snap-on casing – Using this casing has several advantages – it is ten lead-free durable vinyl. There is no maintenance involved. Can be snapped onto windows easily and taken off too. Can be used for different shapes and sizes of windows.
- ETI foam – the use of this foam is to reduce air transfer or insulate any cavity thus increasing efficiency. Engineered Thermal insulation is inserted into large air spaces and is superior to expandable foam.
- Glass panes – double and triple pane – Since this element of the window is what is visible to most people; it is important to choose something of good quality. For adequate protection, use two pane windows for harsh climates. Triple pane windows provide an extra layer of insulation.
Select the window with care and then call for professional installers to ensure a high quality of work. Choose a company that provides good customer service to be assured of help when needed.